Do you want to grow in your knowledge of God, ministry and mission? Do you want to grow in your love for Jesus and your faithfulness to his calling in your life? Do you want to make a difference in this world? Then our three-year Bachelor of Applied Theology is the programme for you. Learn, grow, be transformed.
The Bachelor of Applied Theology will equip you for effective leadership and participation in a wide range of ministry areas, furthering the mission of the church in our society and world.
“I love how, at Carey, students grow their faith deeper as they learn to open the scriptures and read with intelligence and committed discipleship.”
– Dr Sarah Harris, Lecturer – New Testament
This programme is equivalent to three years full-time study, 360 credits of which 75 credits must be completed at level 7, comprising:
At least 150 credits from courses in Bible & Theology, including:
|MB532||Introduction to the New Testament||15|
|MB526||Insights into Church History||15|
|MB531||Introduction to the Old Testament||15|
This must include:
- A minimum of 30 credits in Bible at Level 6 or 7 (including one in Old Testament)
- A minimum of 15 credits in Theology at Level 6
At least 120 credits from courses in Mission, Ministry, and Formation including:
|MS510||Te Ao Māori||15|
|MM581||Mission of God||15|
|MF501||Reflective Field Education||15|
|MF505||Contextual Theological Praxis||30|
Upon successful completion you will be able to demonstrate the following attributes:
- Reflect on and manage your own personal faith journey
- Able to communicate a sound understanding of the Bible and core theological principles
- Ensure your thinking and actions are informed by a robust Christian worldview
- Align your knowledge of Biblical principles with practice in a range of life contexts
- Communicate effectively across different cultural boundaries
Admission to the Bachelor of Applied Theology is open to full-time and part-time New Zealand students and full-time International students.
In order to gain admission all applicants must have achieved one of the following:
- National Certificate of Educational Achievement (NCEA), with a minimum of 42 credits at Level 3 or higher on the National Qualifications Framework, and
- a minimum of 8 credits in English at Level 2 or higher, 4 credits of which must be in reading and with the remaining 4 in writing.
- A grade of C or higher in each of the three subjects in New Zealand University Entrance or Bursaries and Scholarships (NZUEBS) examinations.
For special admission and International student admission requirements (including English language) view the Academic Regulations and Calendar.
Transfer from other Programmes
Students who have completed courses at other institutions may be eligible for cross-credits or recognition of current competency.
Graduates of the New Zealand Diploma of Christian Studies may transfer all credits gained at Levels 5 and 6 towards the Bachelor of Applied Theology programme.
Fees are inclusive of 15% GST, but do not include the Student Services Fee, course books, travel and health insurance, or living costs. In addition to the tuition fees, there is a Student Services Fee of $50 per 15 credit course. Students enrolling in MS510 Te Ao Māori and/or MB630 Understanding Culture are required to also pay $64 + koha for a compulsory noho marae.
|Domestic Student||$787.00 per 15 credit course|
|International Student||$2,617.00 per 15 credit course|
|Audit (interest only, not for credit)||$320.00 per 15 credit course|
Key Information for Students
Compare qualifications and academic information across different New Zealand institutions.
“During my time at Carey I grew in my Christian faith and biblical understanding. The most significant thing I noticed was how students were prepared and formed to do God’s mission, being transformed for the work of God in their own contexts. Carey shaped me to be a faithful servant of Christ and a good role model in my parish and community. It continues to transform me to keep on extending the gospel of Christ wherever I go.”
– Jeke Maikali, Graduate, Bachelor of Applied Theology