Lecturer – New Testament
PhD, MTh, GradDipAppTheol, BMus (Hons)
Jonathan started at Carey in 2023 and teaches New Testament. He has previously taught New Testament courses at Carey as an adjunct teacher and has also taught Biblical Studies at Otago University in 2021-22 . He has pastored churches and been involved in youth and children’s ministry in both the UK and NZ. He completed a PhD in New Testament at the University of Otago in 2020.
Jonathan is a migrant to Aotearoa and now a citizen. He came to NZ in 2006 from the UK, in part to study at Carey Baptist College!
“When I was a student, God used Carey in a huge way in my life. My prayer is that I will be able to help and encourage others in their walk with Jesus, just as the Carey team did for me.”
- 1 Corinthians
- Introduction to the New Testament
- Gospel of Mark
- Apostle Paul
- Use of the Old Testament in the New Testament
- Robinson, Jonathan Rivett. “‘Listen to Him!’: Angelic and Divine Typology in Mark’s Transfiguration Account”, in Horizons in Biblical Theology (2023, forthcoming).
- Robinson, Jonathan Rivett. “Reconsidering Psalm 89:25, Jewish Water Miracles, and Markan Christology”, in Journal of the Jesus Movement in its Jewish Setting 9 (2022), pp.30-42.
- Robinson, Jonathan Rivett. Markan Typology: Miracle, Scripture and Christology in Mark 4:35-6:45, LNTS 678 (T&T Clark, 2022).
- Cresswell Riol, Katharine. with Jonathan Robinson. Paying with Dignity: The Human Cost of Food Charity. A Report for Churches and Faith-based Groups. (Otago Centre for Theology and Public Issues, 2022).
- Robinson, Jonathan Rivett. “Breaking Bread: The Power of Hospitality in Mark 6:1-8:23,” in Tim Meadowcroft and Lisa Spriggens (eds), Practicing Faith: Theology and Social Vocation in Conversation, (Wipf & Stock, 2022).
- Robinson, Jonathan Rivett. “Jonah’s Gourd and Mark’s Gethsemane: A Study in Allegorical Messianic Intertextuality”, in Journal for the Study of the New Testament 43:3 (2021), pp. 370-388.
- Robinson, Jonathan Rivett. “Making Disciples by Performing Miracles: A Study in Mark,” in Stimulus: The New Zealand Journal of Christian Thought and Practice 26:1 (2019): pp57-63.
- Robinson, Jonathan Rivett. “The Argument against Slogans in 1 Cor 6:12-20”, in Journal for the Study of Paul and his Letters 9 (2018), pp. 147-166.
- Robinson, Jonathan Rivett. “‘To see your face is like seeing the face of God’: Pastoral and Systemic Reflections on Forgiveness and Theosis in the Jacob Story,” in The Art of Forgiveness, Phil Halstead & Myk Habets (eds), (Lexington Books/Fortress Academic: 2018): pp55-65.