Honorary Research Fellow
PhD, BA (Hons.) Theology, BA (Hons.) History
George has been on staff at Carey since 1999. After some years as Lecturer in New Testament he developed the Carey Centre for Mission Research and Formation, serving as its director for a further eleven years. He is now a Carey Honorary Research Fellow conducting research in biblical studies and mission which resources Carey, churches and mission organisations and Christin NGOs. He also continues to teach as an adjunct lecturer.
George came to Carey after several years of experience in cross-cultural mission and pastoral ministry, as well as New Testament research and teaching. He brings strengths in relating, imagining and developing programmes and courses, and communicating in a range of modes and contexts.
“I enjoy learning with others and am grateful to be able to teach and research in areas in which I am deeply invested. At Carey, together with our partners in mission and the churches, we are continually addressing new contexts and challenges and being formed for more authentic participation in God’s mission.”
- Bible and Mission
- Intercultural Bible Reading
- Intercultural Practice
- Research Methods in Applied Theology
Current Research Areas
- Intercultural Hermeneutics
- Cultural diversity and intercultural church
- Missional Hermeneutics
- Missional theology and Christian NGSs
- Wieland, George. “Intercultural Bible Reading.” In Guidelines. Edited by Olivia Warburton. Abingdon: BRF, forthcoming 2023.
- Wieland, George. “Missional Bible Reading.” In Innovative Spiritual Practices: 16 Invitations to Spiritual Transformation. Edited by Philip Halstead and Angelika Halstead. Forthcoming 2023.
- Wieland, George. “Cultivating Attentiveness: Formation for Ministry Through the Practice of Intercultural Bible Reading.” Colloquium 53.1 (2021): 98-120.
- Wieland, George. “Discerning the Missio Dei in a Local Church’s Engagement with Its Community.” Mission Studies 37.1 (2020): 101-18.
- Wieland, George. “Re-Ordering the Household: Misalignment and Realignment to God’s oikonomia in 1 Timothy.” Pages 147-60 in Sin and Its Remedy in Paul. Edited by John Goodrich and Nijay Gupta. Eugene, OR: Wipf & Stock, 2020.
- Wieland, George. “Hosts and Guests in the Mission of God.” NZ Baptist Magazine. August, 2019.
- Wieland, George. “We Love Mission: Mission as Home-making,” Pages 83-88 in What We Love: Reflections on Ministry, Leadership, and Mission. A Tribute to Charles Hewlett. Edited by Myk Habets and John Tucker. Auckland: Archer Press, 2017.
- Habets, Myk, Philip Halstead and George Wieland. “The Integrative Process.” Pages 1-10 in Doing Integrative Theology: Word, World, and Work in Conversation. Edited by Philip Halstead and Myk Habets. Auckland: Archer Press, 2016.
- Wieland, George. “Through Integrative Theology to Missional Outcomes.” Pages 110-126 in Doing Integrative Theology: Word, World, and Work in Conversation. Edited by Philip Halstead and Myk Habets. Auckland: Archer Press, 2016.
- Wieland, George (with Terry McGrath, Victoria Sibley-Bentley, and Andrew Butcher). “Mission to & from Diaspora: Influencing the Context for Mission. Pages 161-180 in Scattered and Gathered: A Global Compendium of Diaspora Missiology. Edited by Sadiri Joy Tira and testunao Yamamori. Oxford: Regnum, 2016.
- Wieland, George, John Catmur and Jo Wieland. “Prayer-led Community Engagement.” In Urban Life Together: Inhabiting Our Neighbourhoods. Edited by Andreana Reale and Steven Tucker. Melbourne: UrbanSeed, 2015.
- Wieland, George. “Finding Communitas in Liminality: Invitations from the Margins in the New Testament and in Contemporary Mission.” Pages 46-52 in We Are Pilgrims: Mission From, In and With the Margins of a Diverse World. Edited by Darren Cronshaw and Rosemary Dewerse. Victoria: UNOH, 2015.
- Butcher, Andrew and George Wieland. “Singing the Lord’s song in a foreign land: New Zealand’s Asian Christianities.” Pages 193-216 in Asians and the New Multiculturalism in Aotearoa New Zealand. Edited by Jacqueline Leckie and Gautam Ghosh. Otago: Otago University Press, 2015.
- Wieland, George. “Reading Acts missionally in a city of migrants.” Pages 144-58 in God’s People on the Move: Biblical and Global Perspectives on Migration and Mission. Edited by vanThanh Nguyen and John Prior. Eugene, OR: Pickwick, 2014.
- Butcher, Andrew and George Wieland. “God and Golf: Koreans in New Zealand.” New Zealand Journal of Asian Studies 15.2 (2013): 57-77.
- Wieland, George. “‘As for those who in the present age are rich’ (1 Timothy 6:17-19).” Torch Trinity Journal 14.1 (2011): 58-69.
- Butcher, Andrew and George Wieland. “Go from Your Country: Missiological Reflections on Asian Christians in New Zealand.” Stimulus 18.1 (2010): 2-8.
- Wieland, George. “The Function of Salvation in the Letters to Timothy and Titus.” Pages 173-98 in Entrusted with the Gospel: Paul’s Theology in the Pastoral Epistles. Edited by A. Köstenberger and T. Wilder. Nashville: Broadman & Holman, 2010.
- Wieland, George. “Roman Crete and the Letter to Titus.” New Testament Studies 55 (2009): 338-54.
- Wieland, George. The Significance of Salvation: A Study of Salvation Language in the Pastoral Epistles. Biblical and Theological Monograph Series. Carlisle: Paternoster, 2006.
- Wieland, George. “Grace Manifest: Missional Church in the Letter to Titus.” Stimulus 13.1 (2005): 8-11.
- Wieland, George. The Baptists in Hunslet in the Late Nineteenth Century. Leeds: P.Ray Books, 1998.
- Wieland, George. Exploring the New Testament: A Journey through Acts-Revelation. CTP, Baptist Union of Great Britain, 1992.