Director of the Carey Centre for Mission Research and Formation
PhD, BA (Hons.) Theology, BA (Hons.) History
George has been on staff at Carey since 1999. After some years as Lecturer in New Testament he has since 2012 been Director of the Carey Centre for Mission Research and Formation. He teaches courses and conducts research in biblical studies and mission, supports Carey’s mission focus in curriculum and community life, maintains relationships with mission partners, and resources churches and mission organisations. George also leads Carey’s Mission formation track.
George came to Carey after several years of experience in cross-cultural mission and pastoral ministry, as well as New Testament research and teaching. He brings strengths in relating, imagining and developing programmes and courses, and communicating in a range of modes and contexts in his role.
“I enjoy learning with others and am grateful to be able to teach and research in areas in which I am deeply invested. At Carey, together with our partners in mission and the churches, we are continually addressing new contexts and challenges and being formed for more authentic participation in God’s mission.”
- The Mission of God
- Acts: A Missional Reading
- Church and Mission in Multicultural Contexts
- Poverty, Transformation and the Gospel
- Intercultural Bible Reading
- The Letters to Timothy and Titus
- Intercultural Practice
- Reflective Field Education – Cross-Cultural
- Research Methods in Applied Theology
Current Research Areas
- Intercultural Hermeneutics
- Migration, Cultural Diversity and the Church
- Urban Mission Bible Commentary on 1 & 2 Thessalonians, 1 & 2 Timothy and Titus
- “Cultivating Attentiveness: Formation for Ministry Through the Practice of Intercultural Bible Reading.” Colloquium 52.2 (2021).
- “Discerning the Missio Dei in a Local Church’s Engagement with Its Community.” Mission Studies 37.1 (2020): 101-18.
- “Re-Ordering the Household: Misalignment and Realignment to God’s oikonomia in 1 Timothy.” Pages 147-60 in John Goodrich and Nijay Gupta, eds. Sin and Its Remedy in Paul. (Eugene, OR: Wipf & Stock, 2020).
- “Hosts and Guests in the Mission of God.” NZ Baptist Magazine (August, 2019).
- “We Love Mission: Mission as Home-making,” pp. 83-88 in J. Tucker and M. Habets, eds. What We Love: Reflections on Ministry, Leadership, and Mission: A Tribute to Charles Hewlett. (Auckland: Archer Press, 2017).
- “Integrative Theology” (with Phil Halstead and Myk Habets), and “Through Integrative Theology to Missional Outcomes.” In Phil Halstead and Myk Habets, eds. Doing Integrative Theology: World, Word, and Work in Conversation. (Auckland: Archer Press, 2016).
- “Mission To and From Diaspora: Influencing the Context for Mission” (with Terry McGrath, Victoria Sibley-Bentley, and Andrew Butcher). Pages 161-180 in Sadiri Joy Tira and Tetsunao Yamamori, eds. Scattered and Gathered: A Global Compendium of Diaspora Missiology. (Oxford: Regnum, 2016).
- “Prayer-led Community Engagement” (with John Catmur and Jo Wieland). In Andreana Reale and Steven Tucker, eds. Urban Life Together: Inhabiting Our Neighbourhoods. (Melbourne: UrbanSeed, 2015.)
- “Finding Communitas in Liminality: Invitations from the Margins in the New Testament and in Contemporary Mission.” Pages 46-52 in Darren Cronshaw and Rosemary Dewerse, eds. We Are Pilgrims: Mission From, In and With the Margins of a Diverse World (UNOH, 2015).
- (With Andrew Butcher) “Singing the Lord’s song in a foreign land: New Zealand’s Asian Christianities.” Pages 193-216 in J. Leckie and G. Ghosh, eds. Asians and the New Multiculturalism in Aotearoa New Zealand. (Otago: Otago University Press, 2015).
- “Reading Acts missionally in a city of migrants.” Pages 144-58 in vanThanh Nguyen and John Prior, eds., God’s People on the Move: Biblical and Global Perspectives on Migration and Mission (Eugene, OR: Pickwick, 2014).
- (With Andrew Butcher) “God and Golf: Koreans in New Zealand,” New Zealand Journal of Asian Studies 15.2 (2013): 57-77.
- “‘As for those who in the present age are rich’ (1 Timothy 6:17-19),” Torch Trinity Journal 14.1 (2011): 58-69.
- (With Andrew Butcher) “Go from Your Country: Missiological Reflections on Asian Christians in New Zealand,” Stimulus 18.1 (2010): 2-8.
- “The Function of Salvation in the Letters to Timothy and Titus.” Pages 173-98 in A. Köstenberger and T. Wilder, eds. Entrusted with the Gospel: Paul’s Theology in the Pastoral Epistles (Nashville: Broadman & Holman, 2010).
- “Roman Crete and the Letter to Titus,” New Testament Studies 55 (2009): 338-54.
- The Significance of Salvation: A Study of Salvation Language in the Pastoral Epistles. Biblical and Theological Monograph Series. (Carlisle: Paternoster, 2006).
- “Grace Manifest: Missional Church in the Letter to Titus.” Stimulus 13.1 (2005): 8-11.
- The Baptists in Hunslet in the Late Nineteenth Century (Leeds: P.Ray Books, 1998).
- Exploring the New Testament: A Journey through Acts-Revelation (CTP, Baptist Union of Great Britain, 1992).