How to Apply

Carey recognises the benefit of students studying away from their home setting and many students worldwide find New Zealand a stimulating and encouraging place to grow in their understanding of Christian faith and practice. Carey therefore offers students from overseas the opportunity to enrol its programmes.

International students are defined as those who do not hold citizenship or permanent residency within New Zealand, Australia, the Cook Islands, Niue or Toekelau.

If you wish to apply to study at Carey you must submit the following documentation. We strongly encourage you to read the information on Admission Requirements and Visas and Insurance before submitting your application.

  • Completed International Students Enrolment Form
  • Proof of English language ability
  • Evidence of education including academic transcripts of post-school education, verified as genuine by a Notary Public
  • A written statement regarding your church membership together with information about any group or denomination that the church belongs to and including a copy of the church’s statement of faith
  • Three references, including one from your Pastor or Church Leader. If not written in English, they should be accompanied by a translation which MUST NOT be translated by you and which must be verified as genuine by a Notary Public
  • A short personal written statement explaining why you wish to study at a Bible or Theological College and why Carey has been chosen, as against other colleges and training centres, either in New Zealand or in other countries
  • Evidence of your financial stability and your ability to meet all the costs of study, accommodation and personal needs for the full duration of the study and including evidence of return air fare to your home
  • Any other information that may be material to the assessment of this application

We endeavour to process all applications within 7-10 working days or receipt. Once you have been accepted for study, we will provide you with a letter of acceptance and offer of place for your chosen study programme. At this point you must pay for a full year of tuition. Please note that these funds are kept in a separate trust account and will be refunded (less an administration fee of NZ$50) if you are denied a student visa and are unable to take up the offer of place

Once we have received your payment we will issue you with a formal “Offer of Place”. You must then apply to the New Zealand Immigration Service (NZIS) to obtain a student visa. This is your responsibility. See the NZIS website for details .

Note: Immigration New Zealand will be notified when a student withdraws from a programme or course.

Applied Theology Study Options

Before you apply, find out what programme and qualification options are available for International students

Admission Requirements

To be accepted to study at Carey you need to pass certain English language, admission and other requirements.

Visas and Insurance

To study in New Zealand all International students must have a valid student visa and current medical and travel insurance that complies with the Code of Practice for International Students.