A reflection from Dr Sarah Harris.

I was fortunate to spend most of my sabbatical at Tyndale House in Cambridge, UK. This is one of the best biblical research libraries in the world with an outstanding collection of books, awesome librarians, and a scholarly community which gathers for coffee at 11am and 4pm to chat about our work. This combination of factors, and the ability to live onsite makes Tyndale House a highly productive place for study leave.

While I was at Tyndale I was working on a book for Zondervan on Luke’s Gospel and am pleased to say that I made pretty good progress. I am around half way through the project – well half way to my first draft – and I am excited for the Luke class in Semester One where I will explore some new ideas I have.

Sabbatical though is not all work as we take our annual leave at this time and Craig (my husband) came over to Europe along with a Carey student and we walked the Camino de Santiago in Spain. We took the French route which is 780km, but we didn’t have time to complete the whole walk so began in the Medieval city of Burgos and walked 500km. On the first few days my body was at odds with the demands (actually it was screaming back at me!), but it eventually caught up and I had a fantastic time of walking, exploring villages and towns, and making new friends. A “camino” in Spanish means a “way” or “trail” and as you walk mile after mile you have lots of time to reflect on your life: what’s working and what’s not? It made me think about a sustainable work-life balance, and about time for myself, for Craig, and for God. At the end of it all Craig and I want to go back to Spain and walk the full distance.

Long times of walking, reflecting, and rejoicing make a compelling holiday if you’re an active relaxer.