Kia ora tātou,

My name is Aaron and I’m originally from Hawke’s Bay.
In what can only be described as a pre-mid-life crisis, I decided to resign from work and make the move from Wellington to Auckland to study at Carey.

For the last few years I have become more aware that what we believe is the foundation for our practice, for better or worse! This was a key reason for coming to Carey, to invest in and deepen my understanding of faith, to enrich my practice of faith in the future. Better to do it now while there’s still (hopefully) mileage left on the clock, right? I must admit, as an accountant with an aversion to negative cash flow and sub-par biblical jokes, arriving at Carey initially made me question my life choices.

However, as the year has progressed, as well as finding a new pastime (hiding books from the librarians – highly recommended!), the Carey community has been invaluable in helping me challenge and shape my faith assumptions. The lecturers are excellent and have been graceful while I slowly iron out my own heresies (or perhaps develop new ones??) the more I’ve learnt the more I realise I’m just scratching the surface of knowing an all-knowing God.  

I would not describe studying applied theology as a calling, but rather a direction that I’ve taken within my calling to love God and love others. I think that everyone is called by God, to love God and love others. The direction we each take to express this calling, and the way God leads us can differ from each other. My time at Carey has been both refreshing and foundational. It has been a worthwhile direction for me this year, and one that I trust God will use to shape my future directions in work and life.

Ngā manaakitanga