Although it was exciting to graduate with a Bachelor of Applied Theology at Carey Baptist College’s recent graduation ceremony, the journey isn’t over quite yet for one Carey student.
Jess Dixon was one of 81 people who graduated from Carey on 24th March but she has decided to continue with her Post Graduate Diploma in Applied Theology. Jess, her husband Jared, and their two-year-old son Elijah are Missioners based at St John the Baptist in Waitara, New Plymouth. They are exploring new ways of being church into the future.
“To be honest, we’re not sure what that looks like yet,” Jess says, “but we believe it’s important to contend and grapple with this ecclesially and to reflect theologically. Studying theology at Carey has enriched my knowledge of and relationship with God so much, and we believe this season isn’t over quite yet.”
Like many students, Jess has family who have studied at Carey previously and the sense of community at the College connected with her. She had some real-world experience first working at a hospital pharmacy and starting a Bachelor of Science degree until a deep experience with the Holy Spirit led her into investigating theology. “The vibe you get at Carey was something I wanted to be a part of,” she says.
“Studying theology changes your lens. I’ve re-discovered God, and the God
I know now is so much better than the God I had before. It’s epic!”