Appointment of new Director – Carey’s Chinese Programme
Carey is pleased to announce the appointment of Dr Timothy Lim as the new Director for Carey’s Chinese Programme, now re-named as The Centre for Chinese Research and Training. For the past twenty years that Timothy has been in full-time vocational Christian/religious ministry, he has also taught residential and online courses on Global Christianity, Global Theologies amid Systematic Theology and constructive Theology and Culture, and World Religions.
“We are absolutely delighted to welcome Timothy to Carey. Timothy is a gifted academic with a strong teaching and research background, considerable ministry experience and has a warm evangelical spirituality that fits Carey’s ethos. We are sure the Centre will thrive under his leadership” says Dr John Tucker, Principal of Carey.
“At Carey we recognize the significance of the Chinese Churches in the life and mission of the church in Aotearoa and beyond. We’re also aware of the substantial role Chinese Christians are playing in multi-cultural churches and we desire to serve them the best that we can.”
The Centre for Chinese Research and Training plays an integral role in the multi-cultural life of the College. It offers New Zealand’s only NZQA-approved tertiary-level theological programme fully in Chinese. Since 1999 more than 500 students have studied through Carey’s Chinese Programme.
The appointment is a significant leadership role within the College. Dr Lim will oversee and develop the Centre, produce research around Asian theology, ministry and mission, teach in both the Chinese and English programmes, and actively work with the local Chinese community.
“I look forward to collaborating with the Carey team to inspire further multicultural ministerial enrichment as well as to extend Carey’s many successes to the Chinese churches in New Zealand and beyond.” says Timothy. “My wife, Sharlene, and my three boys, Matthew, Owen, and Zachary, are excited about what God has in store for all of us, as we obey God’s call to grow and serve in yet another continent, this time, in Oceania.”
Timothy and his family currently reside in Singapore and will be moving to New Zealand shortly when he will begin teaching in the second semester.
Haere mai Tim!
More about Dr Timothy Lim
Timothy has taught residential and online courses on Global Christianity, Global Theologies amid Systematic Theology and constructive Theology and Culture, Theological Studies, and World Religion modules. He is published in ecclesiology, evangelicalism, interchurch relations, intercultural interdisciplinarity, Reformation studies, and theological studies amid interests also in philosophy, historical theology and spirituality.
He has a proven track record teaching in seminaries, supervising learners in their research on global Christianity, administration, and project management at council of churches and regional para-church missions. He has served seminaries and/or churches in North America, Northeast Asia (China, Hong Kong, and Taiwan), Southeast Asia, and the United Kingdom. Select publications include:
- Ecclesial Recognition (Leiden: Brill, July 2017). ISBN 9789004347366.
- Spiritual Friendship: A Sacred Calling (under revision for later review)
- Laudato Si: An Evangelical Assessment, Evangelical Review of Theology (forthcoming, October 2017)
- Shifts in Local Missional Evangelism in the Pacific Rim, Evangelical Review of Theology & Politics 4 (online, 2016): EF1-13
- Recognition and Reception: Commemoration the Reformation in 2017, Ecclesiology 12:2 (May 2016): 197-224
- The Holy Spirit in Evangelii Gaudium, Together Towards Life and Cape Town Commitment, International Review of Missions 104:2 (Nov 2015): 203-216
- Pneumatological-(Protestant) Ecclesiology, Review of Ecumenical Studies 7:2 (Aug 2015): 211-229
- Acts and Missional Models of Church, Princeton Theological Review 14:15 (online ed., 2015)